The Acceleration of Online Video
The world of online video, from introduction website videos, to amateur YouTube videos, and commercials made specifically for the web, have been accelerating at a rapid rate in the past ten years. Here are some fairly recent stats to keep you up-to-date on the fast changing pace of online video.
- According to a comScore study, released in February 2011, 82.5% of the U.S. Internet audience viewed a video online.
- Viewers watched 75% more videos online in December 2010 than December 2008.
- In a 2010 report from Cisco, 30% of Internet traffic is currently video. By 2013, 90% of Internet traffic will be video.
- Advanced Internet video (3D and HD) will increase 23-fold between 2009 and 2014.
- By 2014, 3D and HD Internet video will include 46% of Internet video traffic.
- In the same time frame, online video ad spending will swell from $1.97 billion to $5.71 billion.
- The length of the average video was 5.1 minutes in February 2011.
- The average online video ad was 24 seconds.
- Video ads accounted for 12.4% of all videos viewed and 1.2% of all minutes spent watching video online.
- Top video ad networks potentially reach the following proportions of the total U.S. population: Google Display Network at 46.7%, Tremor Media at 46.3% and BrightRoll Video Network at 37.3%.
- In February 2011 there were 3.8 million video ads, which averages about 30.2 ads per viewer and reached 42% of the total U.S. population.
- According to comScore Video Metrix, in February 2011 the total U.S. unique video viewers on the Internet was 169,646 with an average of 816.4 minutes per viewer.
- Google sites had 141,065 total unique viewers, averaging 261.6 minutes per viewer in the month.
- VEVO had 48,998 unique viewers averaging 81.2 minutes per viewer.
- Microsoft Sites had 48,812 unique viewers averaging 46.5 minutes per viewer.
- Facebook.com had 46,661 unique viewers averaging 18.5 minutes per viewer.
- Viacom Digital had 45,214 unique viewers averaging 74.2 minutes per viewer.
- Hulu had 27,257 unique viewers averaging 224.3 minutes per viewer.
This information was found at www.business2community.com